Welcome to the Dentist's Office

Welcome to the Dental Office blog. On this site we will share information on how we conquer the real-world challenges that we each face in our pursuit of running high-quality, successful, profitable and harmonious dental offices.

The Dental Blog invites you to share your knowledge, successes, failures and crazy stories with fellow dental professionals. Sharing our combined knowledge, we can each create our own unique dream practices.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Don't Pre-Judge

The most important thing I learned was to not pre-judge patients and to present the very best care option to every patient. I know a lot of dental offices that pre-judge what they think a patient will be able to afford or desire and then present treatment options to fit that perception. I know that I would be angry if I had a bad knee and I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he pre-judged what treatment option I might pick and only presented that option. I would want to hear the option with the most opportunity to make me well.

I often say, “if you were my mother, this is what I would be doing” – and then I proceed to present the very best option to the patient (the one that I would do for my mom). It is okay for patients to ask about less costly or less invasive treatment options – I am happy to give my patients all their options. The most important thing is that they have been told by me what the best treatment option is and why it offers them the best long-term outcome.

I understand that dentistry can be expensive but that is no excuse for us not offering the very best treatment plan to each of our patients. Present the dental plan that you would want presented to you – then let our patients decide if they want to move forward with the ideal treatment plan or to ask for alternative plans. Don’t pre-judge your patients. Let them decide for themselves.

Dr. Corey Gold
President – Advanced Continuing Education Systems
www.aces4ce.com

13 comments:

  1. Most of dental office will recommend affordable treatment to patient according to patient solvency because that will improve successful deal rate, we say "Pre-Judge". Your principle is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the advice, this is really good to know. I haven't been to the dentist in a couple of years. Part of it is because it's expensive, the other part is because I get so nervous to go. I just need to be an adult and go.

    http://www.forestodentistry.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed that dental office will always try and offer the most affordable treatment. Dentist are there to help you and improve the health of your mouth. This does not mean that some treatments aren't expensive but that is why it is so important to take good care of your oral hygiene.

    Mia | http://www.mysmilemakers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean Mia. It is awesome having a dentist that tells you what is wrong and then gives you the options. My dentist has always given me the different options along with the pros and cons of the different options. It makes it easier for me to make a semi informed decision.

    Jason|http://www.drjamiekaukinen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting piece! I wonder what the dentist that did my Dentures San Ramon would say about this?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree with you. Even same thing happened with me. I had tooth ache and dentist suggested me to remove tooth instead of suggesting any other treatment.

    Thanks.

    Dentist in Fredericton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      Even same thing happened with me too. But one of my friend was suggest me another dentist in Brantford. He is really a nice guy and his team too.

      Delete
    2. Its really get difficult to find a good dentist specially when we shift to a new place. Luckily, i met with a dentist in Kitchener who do good dental treatment at affordable prices. now am all relax to have such a friendly and professional dentist to take care of my dental health.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this great post! I have always loved the dentist ever since I was a little girl! I look forward to my six month check up and I just hope my little kids are the same way!
    Holly James | http://www.stephencarydmd.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so true. I had several different dentists give me composite fillings over the course of nine years-- they were to cover my chipped front teeth, and they were constantly done wrong and chipping off. I finally had a dentist that referred me to a prosthedontist, and I got crowns-- more expensive, and absolutely worth the cost. They're fantastic, and even though I made the final decision, I just needed someone to take the time to explain it to me. Thanks!

    Jenn http://www.whitbydentalclinic.ca/en/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this. I feel very happy that i have a good dentist in Toronto who takes care of me and my family's dental health in a very friendly manner. His staff is quite supportive and easily approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the new dental practice must be performed very specifically and accurately to achieve an ideal dental treatment to make the patients get rid off their dental problems.

    ReplyDelete